Discover the autumn treasures of Japan’s main island, Honshu, on this dynamic journey. Begin with escorted tours in Japan with the modern neon-lit capital of Tokyo, the famous bullet train takes you north to Sendai to explore the Matsushima Islands – first by boat, then on a special steam train to Niigata on the other side of the island through mountains, valleys and forests that are full of deciduous trees ablaze with autumn colours. Combining legendary food, fine hotels, spectacular scenery, you are in for a rare feast for the eyes and senses, coasting around Japan in state-of-the-art trains, both large and small.
- Extensively travel Japan by rail using your JR Green Class (first class) Rail Pass, including several journeys on the iconic bullet trains.
- Travel by steam train on the famous heritage railways of Yamaguchi, Oigawa, and the Banetsu lines
- Ride the Sagano Forest Railway, Tozan Mountain Railway, regional expresses, subways and a vintage tram charter in Hiroshima
- Cruise around the Matsushima Islands, Hiroshima Bay to Miyajima, and on a white water cruise on the Nagatoro River
- Pay homage to survivors at Hiroshima, Sendai and Yokohama
[gg_li]Explore historic temples, castles and cultural sites in Tokyo, Kyoto and Himeji
- Visit the unsurpassed modern railway museums in Tokyo and Kyoto
- Enjoy a sumo wrestling demonstration in Tokyo and wacky fashions in Harajuku
- Immerse yourself in Japan’s unique food culture at fine restaurants, including a traditional full-course Japanese Ryokan dinner, and a night with The Singing Chef in Sendai
- Multiple nights in handpicked, centrally-located hotels – mostly 5-star and most with TripAdvisor™ Certificates of Excellence and ‘travellers choice’ or top ratings
- English speaking local guides and the services of your experienced Australian host throughout
- Connections on major legs by luxury coach, with separate luggage transport
- Optional post-tour trip to the Yokohama Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery for a special Anzac Memorial Service