From coast to inland plains, volcanic ranges and classic country towns this adventure celebrates the variety that the northern regions of NSW have to offer the Railway Adventurer. From the window of your trains and coach, an ever-changing vista of our coastal and country landscapes will be on show. For most of the tour you will be rolled along on rarely visited country rail lines on board a comfortable classic 1960’s heritage doubleended Railmotor, the pride of the fleet at the volunteer-run Rail Motor Society at Paterson in the Hunter Valley. We will visit them along with a wonderful long list of special museums, homesteads, and observatories together with charming country cities, towns and villages.
The route we take begins with the boarding of our Railmotor for the journey up the coast to the popular holiday city of Port Macquarie. We introduce the legacy of the timber industry and the associated connection with narrow gauge railways at Wauchope before ascending the ranges via Bellingen to Dorrigo and along the Waterfall Way to Armidale. The New England is a land unto itself with Armidale it’s unofficial capital. Fine homesteads, churches, schools and wineries grace this wealthy city. We continue our cross country rail journey down the tablelands via the grand junction station of Werris Creek to the sleepy former railway hub of Binnaway. The Warrumbungle Ranges are on hand for us to explore, just west of Coonabarabran, with their ancient towering volcanic plugs, unique native bush, and world class observatories. Down the old Mudgee branch line is Dunedoo and then Gulgong where we settle for a couple of nights in the heart of this heritage listed Goldrush town. Enjoy side trips to historic Mudgee, and award winning wineries and restaurants before capping it off with a sunset soiree at Ruwenzori Retreat, Scott McGregor’s private mountain top hideaway. The last day takes us on the normally inaccessible freightonly line down the Goulburn, Bylong and Hunter Valleys to Sydney. Thus Completing a wonderful adventure taking you North by North West across a great chunk of country and coastal NSW.
- Travel through NSW on your privately chartered 1960’s railmotor from the Rail Motor Society
- Enjoy a scenic evening cruise with dinner and drinks in Port Macquarie
- Explore the delightful towns of Bellingen, Binnaway, Dorrigo, and Gulgong
- Soak up Dorrigo National Park at the Rainforest Centre
- Enjoy lunch at Werris Creek and visit the national railway monument and museum
- View the grand old Homestead of ‘Booloominbah’ in Armidale
- Take a guided tour of the Siding Springs Observatory and view the Warrumbungle Mountains at Coonabarabran
- Explore the towns of Mudgee and Gulgong and enjoy local winery tours and tastings
- Enjoy a lavish lunch at one of Mudgee’s favourite locations, Lowe Wines Estate
- Savour an exclusive sunset cocktail reception at the outlandish Ruwenzori Retreat
- Relax with the services of your tour leaders, wine presenters and train managers throughout