Switzerland’s vertical landscape has long attracted romantics and travelers. The railway revolution of the nineteenth century saw little trains daring to ascend the highest peaks by ingenious and inventive methods of engineering, making some of Europe’s most spectacular scenery accessible to all. Train travel is central to Swiss life, and its rail network is one of the most efficient, and easily the most patronized network per head of population in the world. Swiss rail holidays are finely tuned adventure, led by your experienced Switzerland expert Chris Harding, will take you through the heart of the Alps to explore a wonderful mix of the country’s key historical, cultural and scenic destinations.
To experience this choose our affordable Swiss Rail and Holiday packages.
- Visit the magnificent Chateau de Chillon rich with a thousand years of history
- Visit Gruyères Castle and the picture-book village below
- Ride the longest rack railway in Europe to its highest station, the Jungfraujoch
- Ride the famous Gornergrat rack railway and visit Switzerland’s most iconic mountain, the Matterhorn
- Enjoy a 3-course lunch through picturesque scenery on the world’s slowest express train, the Glacier Express
- Climb over the multiple Albula spiral tunnels and viaducts to the highest crossing of the Alps aboard the Bernina Express
- Enjoy a guided walking tour through Chur, Switzerland’s oldest town
- Explore the multitude of museums, including the National Railway Museum in Lucerne