New South Wales is blessed with a number of interesting ‘cross country’ railways, linking the main lines radiating out from Sydney, allowing trains to follow a circular path in different regions of the state. One of these is the ‘Sandy Hollow line’, started in 1937, and completed, in part, in 1985. This normally freight only line is open to special trains from time to time and on this occasion our privately chartered nifty little Rail Motor has specific accreditation to traverse this scenic run. The interesting route of this cross-country link has allowed us to create a special Railway Adventure looping around the captivating highlights of the Central West of NSW.
Here is a region rich with history; appealing characters, great scenery, fine food, wine and places to stay. There are museums to fossils and folk history, legendary images and colonial incarceration and, not to be missed, Australia’s newest railway museum in Bathurst. There’s quaint Gold Rush era villages and bustling regional hubs, snaking rivers, cavernous coal mines, pristine bushland, canyons, ranges, and some of the finest farms, vineyards, grazing country, studs and native bush that you’re likely to see anywhere in the country.
- Exclusive use of the Central West Explorer, your privately chartered vintage 1960’s Rail-Motor with plenty of extra seats for comfort and space
- Train Travel over the Blue Mountains and scenic Mudgee line to Rylstone
- Train travel on the Great Western and Great Northern Railways
- Train travel on cross country railways to Gulgong and down the Sandy Hollow line
- Experience spectacular scenery around the Capertee, Cudgegong and Bylong Valleys
- Explore the colonial era village of Rylstone and the 1920’s Cement town of Kandos
- Be enchanted by Abercrombie House, a veritable baronial castle in the Aussie bush
- Soak up fascinating museums of Fossils, Car-racing, Railways, old Gaols, Gold rush photographs, Rural heritage and wine making
- Stroll the national trust listed towns of Millthorpe and Gulgong
- Wine tastings and dinners at Borrodell, Craigmore, Bunnamagoo and Lowes
- Special entertainment and dinner at Lowe’s, Mudgee’s premier winery venue
- Exclusive sunset cocktail reception at the outlandish Ruwenzori Retreat
- Guided tours of Bathurst, Mudgee and Orange and commentary on board your train
- Services of your tour leaders, wine presenters and train Bathurst managers throughout