In the heart of the Mediterranean lie two fascinating islands, characterised by wild and mountainous scenery, multi-layered histories, rich cultures and a wonderful collection of extraordinary little railways. Heritage, narrow-gauge, local and private trains ply their way through these rugged landscapes, past hill-hugging mountain villages, along dramatic coasts and into historic character-filled cities. Come aboard this fascinating journey to discover what makes these central Mediterranean islands so unique. Corsica, reached by ferry from the mainland, is blessed with a stunning contoured coastline, remote valleys and villages, a vibrant culinary scene and a captivating crossisland mountain railway. The ancient and weather-worn landscapes of Sardinia are the backdrop for the next island adventure, which uses a mix of regular and privately-chartered heritage trains. Experience its mountainous heart, emerald sea coasts, cliff-hugging forts and towns, and a fiercely independent culture.
Our tour of Sardinia gives you the chance to travel over every open railway line on the island, both standard and narrow-gauge, and includes the two new tramway systems. Corsica, the fourth-largest island in the Mediterranean is also called “The island of beauty,” a veritable mountain rising out of the sea and an island of strong character. We begin our adventure in Pisa, a town that draws its fame from an architectural project gone wrong, but now boasts a vibrant university scene dotted with Romanesque buildings and Gothic churches.
- Travel on the picturesque Trenino Verde, or “Little Green Train”
- Embark on guided city tours in iconic cities, including Pisa and Cagliari
- Explore Napoleon’s birthplace, Ajaccio
- Take the option to join railway enthusiast excursions or cultural excursions, including a visit to the ancient Roman town of Nora
- Enjoy comfortable coach transfers and luggage transport on main legs
- Multiple nights in 4- and 5-star, centrally located hotels
- Savour delicious welcome and farewell dinners with drinks included