The dawn of the railway age in Victoria was perfectly timed, coming hot on the heels of the greatest gold rush in Australia’s history. The windfall from mining royalties was crucial in funding the construction of the country’s first main line railways. These branched out in the 1850s and ‘60s to reach the ‘Pot of Gold’, the Murray River, at Echuca in 1864. Here, the riverboat trade was also booming and the coming of the railway added another spoke to this already busy hub. Our special short adventure celebrates this golden age of rail and river transport in the colony of Victoria. It culminates in a kind of re-enactment of the famous ‘meeting of the whistles’ at the Port of Echuca, where steam train and steamboat connected in a hail of whistles echoing over the town and river – the sound that once reminded one and all of the prosperity and enterprise of their great state. Join us on a journey that showcases not only Victoria’s culturally rich cities and towns, but also its unique natural beauty, iconic gold-rush history, sublime local gastronomy and character-filled railways. We begin our journey by experiencing the efficient, modern regional rail service before embarking on steam-powered transport that takes us back in time, and then on to the state’s northern border. Here we experience the mighty Murray River aboard a quaint paddle steamer, where we enjoy a lunch cruise. Our next departure point is Bendigo staying in the grand old Shamrock Hotel and exploring the city at length. We visit Maryborough’s grand station which is also a monument to another age and then settle into Ballarat for a few nights to explore the region, including a visit to Daylesford for a private charter of the charming DERM Railway and time at Sovereign Hill. Victoria’s natural beauty is on show at the Grampians National Park and rides on Puffing Billy and Australia’s premier rail restaurant the ‘Q Train’ cap off a mighty trip around The Garden State.
17 Mar 2023 - 27 Mar 2023
17 Nov 2023 - 27 Nov 2023
- 10 nights’ accommodation in comfortable, centrally located hotels
- All excursions and entrance fees to attractions, as listed in the itinerary
- Breakfast daily, 4 lunches and 6 dinners
- Comprehensive sightseeing with expert local guides
- Drinks included with welcome and farewell dinners
- Luxury chartered coach travel throughout the tour
Price does not include
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure
- All other personal expenses such as drinks, phone calls, laundry services, etc.
- Excursions listed as optional and extra in the brochure
- Meals and services not mentioned in itinerary